Poha Payasam- Gokulashtami Special
Sri Krishna Jayanthi or Gokulashtami is the birth anniversary of Lord Krishna and is celebrated all over India. I prepared 'Poha Payasam' as an offering for Lord Krishna. It is a very healthy & easy to make recipe.
- 2 cup Beaten Rice (Poha)
- 2 cup thick Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Jaggery
- Few Cashew Nuts, Almonds and Raisins
- 5-6 Saffron strands
- 5-6 Green Cardamoms, peeled and seeds crushed to fine powder
- Place poha or beaten rice in a sieve and give it a quick rinse under running water. Keep it aside.
- Take a pan and heat about 1 cup of water and add jaggery to it. Once the jaggery completely dissolves, pass it through the sieve to remove any impurity.
- Transfer the jaggery water back into the pan and add rinsed poha. Let it cook for two minutes on medium flame.
- Next add coconut milk and give it a good stir. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring in between, on medium flame.
- Now add crushed cardamom powder and cashew nuts, almonds and raisins. I had used (almond, cashew nut, pistachio grind powder).
- Add little more water, if needed, to get the required consistency and let it simmer for a minute or two.
- Offer it to the Lord Krishna on Gokulashtami. J
- Serve this quick, delicious Poha Payasam hot or warm or at room temperature or chilled and enjoy!