Lemon Rice is a delicious South Indian dish you can easily put together when in a hurry. It’s called Chitranna in Bangalore. You can also make it with leftover rice.
Serve Lemon Rice with a Raita for a simple yet tasty meal.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
· ¾ cup Rice
· ½ cup Onion
· 3-4 Green Chillies
· 1 & ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
· ½ tsp Mustard seeds
· 1 tsp Urad dal
· 5-6 Curry Leaves
· 1 tbsp Groundnuts (optional)
· ½ tsp Turmeric powder
· 1 tsp Oil
· Salt as per taste
1. Cook Rice in pressure cooker. Rice should not become too soft, the rice grains should be separate after cooking otherwise it becomes paste when mixed.
2. Heat Oil in a pan and add groundnuts, mustard seeds and urad dal. When they start popping add green chillies, curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
3. Add onion, turmeric, fry till the onions turn slightly brownish.
4. Add rice and salt. Mix well.
5. Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice. Mix well.
While preparing rice use less water compared to normal or use rice from previous day so that rice grains can be separated easily.