2 cups Shev (thick) / Sev /Gathiya
Ingredients for the Masala:
½ cup grated coconut
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin seed powder
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 ½ tbsp roasted chana dal
2 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp sesame
4-5 red chilies or 2 tsp red chili powder
Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Gravy:
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of asafetida
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 sliced onions
1 chopped tomato
Finely chopped coriander
- Grind together coconut, coriander powder, cumin seed powder, ginger-garlic paste, roasted chana dal, fennel seeds, black pepper, cloves, sesame, red chilies and salt. Make a fine masala powder.
- Heat oil in Kadhai, add onions and sauté them till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Then grind together cooked onion and tomato mixture with the ground masala. Add little water and make a thick paste.
- Now heat oil in Kadhai. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add asafetida and turmeric powder.
- Now add grind masala paste to it and cook till the oil separates.
- Now add 5 cups of water and mix well. Bring to boil.
- While serving mix Shev/ Sev/ Gathiya in the gravy.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and lemon wedges.
- Serve it HOT with lemon wedges, onion slice and chapatti. J