- 1 cup Basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 ¼ cup sugar and a little more than ½ cup water for the paak (sugar syrup)
- 4-5 cloves
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 8-10 cashew nuts, halved and raisins
- pinch of keshar (saffron) strands, soaked in a little milk or water
- 1 tsp lime juice (optional)
- Heat the ghee, when hot add the cloves and cook till the color of cloves starts changes.
- Add the rice and saute a bit.
- Add two cups water and cook the rice.
- When the rice is cooked, gently spread it in a plate and let cool.
- Combine the sugar and water. Let the mixture cook till you get a thick syrup.
- You know the paak (sugar syrup) is done when a drop of paak put on a metal plate holds it shape and doesn't run.
- Add the lemon juice (optional), saffron, cardamom powder, cashews, and the rice to the syrup.
- Cover and cook till the water evaporates.
- Serve it hot. Garnish with cashew and raisins.
Mainly prepared on festive occasions :-)